Dark chocolate pumpkin scones are one of my favorite fall treats! A great breakfast or snack, enjoy them seasonally or year round. These scones are simple to make – no equipment or rest time needed – and bake up in just 15 minutes. Grab a cup of coffee and curl up with a couple of dark chocolate pumpkin scones on a cozy Sunday morning!
I love making scones. I used to do it a lot more often. Around here you’ll find recipes for:
And I really missed them! So I decided to make some pumpkin scones, given it’s October, but I also really wanted chocolate. Dark chocolate, to be specific. And so, these scones were born.
How to Make Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Scones
This recipe for these pumpkin scones is super simple. You don’t need any kind of mixer, there’s no rest time, and they bake in just 15 minutes. Even better: they’re best enjoyed warm, so you’ll have a freshly baked breakfast in no time.
See the step by step video instructions for Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Scones in story form!
Start by mixing together the dry ingredients:
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
Then cut in 1/4 cup cold butter that’s been diced.
Then stir in the wet ingredients:
Stir until stirring isn’t really effective anymore, then use your hands to knead in the dry ingredients until there’s no flour hanging out on the edges of the bowl.
Then add the dark chocolate chunks, and knead them in until just combined. Split the dough into two even halves.
Place the halves onto parchment lined baking sheets and press into 6 inch discs. Cut each disc into 6 equal pieces but don’t separate the pieces. Brush with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar.
Then bake at 425 degrees F for 13-15 minutes, until edges are just golden brown and center is no longer doughy. You can test this by poking the center: if it springs back, the pumpkin scones are done.
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Scones Recipe
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Scones
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup milk, for spreading on top of scones
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin spice.
- Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. If you don’t have one, you can use a fork or crumble the butter with the dry ingredients using your fingers.
- Mix in the pumpkin and milk with a spoon to start, then knead with your hands to incorporate all the dry ingredients. Add the dark chocolate chunks and knead chocolate is just distributed.
- Divide dough into two even pieces. Form each piece into a disc with a 6 inch diameter and place on the lined baking sheet. Cut each disc into six wedges (like a pizza) but don’t separate them.
- Brush the tops of the discs with milk and sprinkle the raw sugar.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.