YES, this spinach, bacon and cauliflower gratin does have veggies in it. NO, it is not healthy. Let’s be real, here. But it is damn good. And I’ve been playing around with the Keto diet, and this dish totally fits the bill for that. And satisfies my constant craving for macaroni and cheese without quite being macaroni and cheese. Can anyone else relate to this? Must. have. all. the. mac. and. cheese.
This cauliflower gratin is super simple: cauliflower, bacon, and spinach baked in a sauce that’s made of just cream, cheese, and pepper. You really can’t go wrong with any of these ingredients. The cheese sauce for this cauliflower gratin has no flour in it. I know, you think this can’t be done. But it can. How do we achieve this? Extra cheese. Yep. Ooey, gooey, melty cheese thickens this sauce right up.
My favorite way to eat this cauliflower gratin is right alongside sous vide tri tip steak. Decadent and wonderful, but not that bad for you. Perfect for a mid-week quasi-cheat night to carry me over until Friday, when Husband and I traditionally split a pizza.
This cauliflower gratin is amazing as leftovers, so make a really big batch. It’s just one of those rare dishes that’s even better the next day. The cheese sauce gets even thicker and more delicious.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 3 cups spinach
- 10 pieces of bacon, torn into chunks
- Chopped green onions and extra shredded cheese to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a cold, large, oven-safe skillet, pour in the heavy cream. Turn the heat to medium low. Stir in the pepper.
- Once the cream is warm, add the cheese one half cup at a time, stirring for about 15 seconds between additions. Continue to stir until cheese is completely melted through. You may need to turn the heat up a bit.
- Once melted, add the florets, spinach, and bacon. Stir until the veggies are completely coated in the sauce.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
- Optional: top with additional cheese and broil until golden brown. Garnish with chopped green onions.