Fall, fall, fall! Generally, I don’t do a ton of fall baking, but I had overripe bananas and pears, and buh-buh-buh, this Whole Wheat Pear Banana Bread happened. Whole wheat so I’d feel a little less guilty about it. Then I put some walnuts and brown sugar on top of it sooo the guilty feelings crept in.
It’s not that I don’t like to bake. I quite like to. But Husband and I don’t love having baked goods lying around the house. Because we eat them.
Worse, I inevitably bake on Saturdays, which is two days from Monday, which means I can’t even rely on pawning the baked goods off on my coworkers. It’s a lose-lose.
Okay, moving on to happy thoughts! Predictably, this bread was gone by Sunday afternoon because it is tastyyy. Pear + banana is a lovely combination, especially when paired with plenty off pumpkin pie spice. This banana bread is warm and comforting and oh so tasty.
I used Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour for this banana bread, but you could use any whole wheat flour or say screw it and use good ol’ all purpose.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spicce
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9"x5" baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bananas, maple syrup, coconut oil, and eggs.
- Add the vanilla, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir in whole wheat flour until completely incorporated.
- Gently fold in the pears until just incorporated.
- Combine all ingredients for the topping. Sprinkle into the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Pour bread batter into the baking dish over the crumbled topping. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in baking dish. Flip upside down onto a platter and continue to let cool for another 10 minutes before slicing and serving.