Unfortunately my obsession with strawberries did not quit with the season. Ya wanna know why that’s okay? Cape Town has incredibly mild weather and strawberries have been in season since May. Which has been winter. Different varieties, yes, but strawberries nonetheless.
I’ve come to love eating strawberries with my morning oatmeal. Usually, I keep it really simple: oatmeal cooked with just a pinch of salt in the water with sliced strawberries, raw sugar, and cinnamon on top. Fiance always goes for the honey instead of sugar.
This particular morning, I had some leftover cream cheese from the mini stacked birthday cake I baked for my blog’s 4th birthday (WOOOOOOing about that still) that needed to get used. So, I whipped the cream cheese up, added just a bit of milk, honey, and cinnamon, and drizzled it over my ordinary oatmeal with strawberries to make them super AWESOME cream cheesy oatmeal with strawberries.
The best part: with low fat cream cheese, it adds hardly any calories because you don’t need much to give it creamy flavor. The drizzle will keep in the fridge for about a week, so you can have it for breakfast all the days!
For those of you who don’t really dig out of season berries, try throwing frozen berries in when you start cooking the oatmeal. They’ll break down just a bit and be super delicious!
Strawberry Cheesecake Oatmeal
- 4 oz 1/2 a package low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup oatmeal, not instant
- 3 large strawberries, hulled and cut into thin strips
- Cinnamon, for serving (optional)
- Honey, for serving (optional)
- Using a standing or handheld mixer, whip the cream cheese until lighter in texture and fluffy. Add the 2 tablespoons honey, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and milk. Beat until completely combined. Taste and add more honey if desired. Set aside.
- To make the oatmeal, bring the water to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat to medium-high and add the salt. Add the oatmeal and cook stirring frequently for five minutes, or until thick.
- Pour the oatmeal into a bowl and top with strawberries. Drizzle desired amount of cream cheese mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon and extra honey if desired.