A few weeks ago, I went to Falling Sky Brewing for the first time. I can’t believe I’d never been there before! I loved the atmosphere of the little restaurant and their beer was fantastic. For lunch, I got an heirloom tomato grilled cheese sandwich with bacon. I am now ruined for all other grilled cheeses.
I decided to recreate my own at home because I just couldn’t get it out of my head. I picked up some heirloom tomatoes, Tillamook cheddar cheese, uncured bacon, and sourdough bread.
I layered all the ingredients onto the buttered bread in a pan and covered it so it would get nice ‘n melty. Unmelted cheese on a grilled cheese is totally unacceptable.
Gave it a flip when it was nice and browned on one side, and that’s it! I love the simplicity of a grilled cheese sandwich. I need to play around with them more often. I usually don’t like tomato-heavy dishes, but combined with the cheese and bacon, this is so perfect. I absolutely love the textures and the contrasting flavors. And heirloom tomatoes are so pretty and fun to have around my kitchen.
Seriously, go make yourself one today while we still have these gorgeous tomatoes. Happy September!
Get the Recipe:
Heirloom Tomato Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough french bread, or other good crusty bread
- 8 slices Tillamook cheddar cheese
- 1/2 heirloom tomato, sliced
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped in half
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place two of the slices buttered side down in a sauté pan on medium-low heat.
- Layer remaining ingredients on both sandwiches in order of: two slices of cheese, enough sliced tomato to cover the bread, 4 halved bacon slices, two more slices of cheese, and another piece of bread buttered side up.
- Cover pan with a lid or cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes, until cheese has started melting and bread on the bottom is browned. Flip, cover, and cook for another 3-5 minutes until cheese is completely melted and other slice of bread is browned.
- Remove to plate, cut in half, and enjoy!