I really dig tacos. They’re easy and versatile, and perfect when you need to please lots of people with different tastes.
If you forced me to choose which kind of meat to put on my taco, I’d more than likely choose shredded beef. The taste and texture of a shredded beef taco is perfect- the beef holds the juices and flavors so well. I’ve never liked ground beef tacos quite as much. They’re fine- especially inside of a crispy shell, but they don’t make me drive home from work excited about what’s for dinner.
This needed to change. I wanted ground beef taco meat that was moist and flavorful. So, I looked to my handy-dandy crock pot! (Why yes, I did just reference Blue’s Clues. Whatcha gonna do about it?)
So, into the crock pot goes this lovely combination of seasonings.
Followed by water, a beef bouillon cube, and salsa. I prefer to use medium Pace Picante Sauce actually, but throw in whatever floats your boat!
Add one pound of browned ground beef and set it to low for about six hours. Then spoon it into lovely fried tortillas from Costco because they’re the best things I’ve ever tasted in my life and top with scrumptious things such as cheese, salsa, cilantro, etc.
Cooking the ground beef with a good combination of seasoning low and slow totally solved the moist/flavor problem. These were DELICIOUS and now I’m happy that I’m more likely to have ground beef in my freezer than a chuck roast. I’ll be using this recipe on ground elk this week and I can’t wait!Print
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water (or 1 cup beef broth and no bouillon)
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- Brown the ground beef and drain the fat off. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your crock pot, whisk together all spices, water, and salsa. Add the bouillon cube and the ground beef and stir together.
- Set crock pot to low and cook for six hours. Scoop into taco shells or tortillas and top with desire toppings, such as cheese, salsa, lettuce, or cilantro.