Okay, yes, I’ll admit it, and dang it, I’ll admit it proudly: this recipe is a blatant copy of Trader Joe’s beet and garlic dip. I bought it, fell in love with it, then decided I needed to make it for myself.
Generally I’m not a big chips and dip girl except for football games and camping, but lately, things have changed. I’ve been ordering tons of cassava chips off of Thrive Market and they are my new favorite: light, crunchy, and salty. And paired with this slightly sweet, garlic-packed hummus, they’re a dream come true.
This Roasted Garlic & Beet Hummus is so easy: just 6 ingredients and about 25 minutes of time. Roast up the beets and garlic cloves, throw ’em in a food processor with chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and sea salt, and blend away. I ended up needing to add a little water to get it to the consistency I like, but you do you.
We served ours with said cassava chips, celery, carrots, and sliced radishes, and you wanna know who ate this platter? Just Husband and I, enjoying a long Sunday on the couch with snacks <<< happy girl. But you can also be like normal people and serve this for a buncha folks. Again, you do you.
Feeling ambitious? Make some homemade naan for dipping. I love cassava chips, but homemade naan would be #ultimate. Then come back here, tell me how awesome it was, and to do it myself next time.
Here’s another quick, stop motion video of the process to give you the gist:
- 2 beets, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1¾ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay out cubed beets and garlic cloves on a small baking sheet. Pour olive oil over them and toss to coat.
- Roast in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until beets are tender and garlic is golden. If garlic is done before the beets, remove to plate and continue baking beets. Let the garlic and beets cool.
- Once beets and garlic have cooled, add them and all remaining ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add water 1 tbsp at a time to reach desired consistency.