I’ve been seeing people make variations of energy bites/energy balls/whatever you want to call them all ova Instagram, but honestly didn’t see the appeal. They are way too calorie dense for a “snack” and when I snack I like to snack, aka multiple bites. So where would these guys fit into my day?
And then I found there were days when Husband and I were super hungry between work and workout, and cheese is great, but it doesn’t pack a real nutritional punch. And so I discovered a place for these little bites.
They’re super nutrient dense at 175 calories a ball, but they’ll fill you up and give you energy to tackle your workout, day, or whatever else.
Then, of course, I wanted to make them seasonal! First thought was gingerbread, but Husband and I are super diggin’ eggnog right now. And here we are!
What’s in these things?
- protein powder
- a variety of roasted nuts
- sea salt
- aaaand eggnog!
Throw everything in a food processor, roll into balls, and pop ’em in the freezer. Keep them in there and pull as needed for a quick, protein-packed snack!
Catch the quick step by step here:
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup roasted mixed nuts
- ½ cup oats
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup eggnog
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until a batter forms and is somewhat smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form into balls with a 1.5 inch (appx) diameter and place on baking sheet.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours, until set.
- Remove to a freezer safe plastic bag and store. Pull from freezer as needed.