Reuben sandwiches are so easy and delicious to make at home, especially when you use homemade pastrami! Only 6 ingredients and about 5 minutes of your time until this deli favorite is on your table. This sandwich is a fun way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, or just eat year round!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
I love a Reuben sandwich – it’s always one of the most tempting things on a pub or deli menu for me. Pastrami, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing, not to mention melty Swiss cheese! It’s my dream sandwich.
Last summer, I made homemade pastrami for the first time and had several friends and family members over to help us eat it all in the form of a massive pile of Reuben sandwiches. Over and over I heard the words, “This is the best Reuben I’ve ever had.” High praise, if you ask me!
This sandwich is incredibly easy to make – don’t overthink it. I recommend doing your best to use the traditional ingredients I’ve laid out in this recipe, but if you have to stray, that’s okay.
Reuben Sandwich Ingredients
So, what goes on a Reuben sandwich? Just a few ingredients:
- Rye bread. This seems like it might be hard to find, but most grocery stores have it! Bonus points if you can find it at a local bakery. If you’re in Portland, I got ours from Pirate Bread through Milk Run.
- Thousand Island Dressing. I get our favorite natural dressings from Thrive Market.
- Sauerkraut. Also from Thrive Market!
- Swiss cheese.
- Pastrami! I have a tutorial for making homemade sous vide + smoked pastrami that is phenomenal. It is 100% worth the time and effort but it takes about 10 days… so I understand if you need to skip this process to get your Reuben fix quicker 🙂
How to Make a Reuben Sandwich
Butter the bread, layer the ingredients inside the sandwich, then griddle just like a grilled cheese! It’s really easy, what did I tell ya?
Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Want more recipes like this? Stay up to date by following me on Instagram: @aducksoven
If you do make this recipe, please rate it and leave it a review! It helps other awesome people like you find it, too.
- 2 pieces rye bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Thousand Island Dressing
- 3-4 oz pastrami
- 3 tbsp sauerkraut
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Butter one side of each piece of the rye bread. Spread the Thousand Island Dressing on the other side of one of the pieces of bread. Layer the remaining ingredients on top of the dressing, ending with the other piece of bread, buttered side up.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwich and cook just like a grilled cheese, until buttered sides of bread are browned and cheese is melted.