It’s National Citrus Month! And all my favorite winter veggies are in season! Like beets, and kale, and spinach, and other yummy things I really don’t eat enough of.
Aaand it’s soup season. Over the past five years, I’ve turned into a summer girl at heart, which was def not the case before. Even through this transformation, my love of soup has stayed strong. I tolerate this time of year in Oregon pretty much only because I get to make a lot of soup.
(Husband is going to read this and say “DOESN’T WINTER IN OREGON SUCK WHY WON’T YOU LET US MOVE SOMEWHERE WARM?!” Don’t worry, Mom and MIL, we’re stayin’ here.)
To bring this ramble home: I combined all these yummy ingredients and added Thai green curry paste, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, serrano pepper, coconut milk, and other goodies to make this flavor packed soup. All right in my Instant Pot!
Eat this soup just as it is, or do like we did and top it with chopped up roasted chicken thigh. Mmm mmm! We also garnished with pistachios – I love garnishing soups with nuts for a little crunch!
Tools you’ll need:
Make this soup. Be happy. Survive winter. Tell me what ya think of it.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp grated lemongrass
- 1 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 3 beets, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups chicken or veggie stock
- ¼ tsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp Thai basil
- 1 can reduced fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 cups baby kale/spinach mix
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios (optional)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Add the coconut oil and diced red onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the serrano pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and Thai green curry paste. Cook until fragrant, about 12=-2 minutes.
- Add beets, cauliflower, stock, and fish sauce. Put lid on Instant Pot and cook using the manual setting on high pressure for 15 minutes. Use the manual release.
- Add the cilantro and basil. Use an immersion blender to puree contents of Instant Pot until smooth.
- Turn on the saute function. Stir in the lime juice, coconut milk, and greens. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens have wilted.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired (we like ours to have a big lime zing!).
- Garnish with pistachios if desired.