This blog doesn’t typically feature a lot of baked goods. It’s not that I don’t like baking, it’s just that I like cooking way more. I don’t have the patience for baking. You have to follow recipes exactly (for the most part) and making a baked treat look pretty usually takes many dedicated minutes painstakingly frosting with different colors. However, stick a pizza stuffed pretzel in front of the camera and it’s going to look good pretty much no matter what.
These little cakes, however, look pretty with the fluffy peppermint frosting drizzled haphazardly and crushed candy canes sprinkled over the top! Talk about little effort. The best part in the preparation: getting to violently crush candy canes. Not to mention, I got to have plenty of creativity with the frosting! The perfect baked good for me.
These cakes are incredibly light and fluffy, with chocolate chips thrown in for good measure. The secret to this super fluffy, creamy frosting is an ingredient that would often be frowned upon: marshmallow fluff! It makes this a next-level frosting. The texture of the marshmallow fluff with the flavor of peppermint extract are a match made in heaven.
I used a mini bundt cake pan for added cuteness, but you could absolutely use a standard cupcake pan or even just bake these as cakes.
We have less than TWO WEEKS of holiday baking left, people! Go preheat your ovens and pull a few candy canes from the tree to whip up this little cakes ASAP.
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup marshmallow fluff
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cupcake tin or mini bundt cake tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer or in a large mixing bowl, combine the water, oil, and eggs. Add the cake mix and beat for two minutes. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the tins ⅔ full with cake mix. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool in the tins for 5 minutes then remove to cooling racks.
- While the cakes are baking, beat together the butter and marshmallow fluff. Add the peppermint extract. Slowly add the powdered sugar, about ½ cup at a time, until completely incorporated. Slowly add the milk until the frosting reaches a consistency that will allow you to drizzle it over the cakes.
- When cakes have cooled, generously drizzle frosting over the top. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.