Looking for a fun dessert to make with pumpkin seeds after you’ve finished pumpkin carving (or just because)? This is the ticket. These pumpkin seed rice krispie treats are so easy to make and only require 5 ingredients. You’ll love them!
I love pumpkin seeds. I love making them after carving pumpkins, I love eating storebought ones, I love them sweet, I love them salty.
But this year, I wanted a more creative way to use them than just eating them by themselves!
So, I added them to rice krispie treats.
Should I shell the pumpkin seeds?
If you buy them storebought, they’ll likely be shelled already. You’ll know if they’re smaller and green! They might be labeled as pepitas (they’re the same thing).
If you’re not using storebought seeds, then don’t worry about shelling. For a more consistent texture, you can chop up the pumpkin seeds, but there’s no reason to if you don’t want to.
If you’re roasting them yourself, make sure you get them thoroughly crunchy – a chewy seed would not be great for texture!
How to Make Pumpkin Seed Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe is extremely simple. You’re simply using the original recipe, but replacing 1 1/2 cups of Rice Krispies cereal with pumpkin seeds!
Here are the basic steps:
- Melt butter
- Melt marshmallows
- Stir in cereal and pumpkin seeds
- Press into baking dish
- Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice
- Cut and serve!
That’s it. Really!
What else can I make with pumpkin seeds?
I don’t have any other pumpkin seed recipes, but here are some from other awesome food bloggers!
- Butternut Squash Curry Soup with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Chocolate Chai Cookies with Pepitas
But if you need a fun straight up pumpkin recipe, let me point you to my sous vide pumpkin pie 🙂
Pumpkin Seed Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
Pumpkin Seed Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tbsp butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 4 1/2 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin seeds
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Melt butter over medium low heat. Add marshmallows and reduce heat to low. Stir until marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from heat and add rice krispie cereal and pumpkin seeds. Stir until completely coated with marshmallow mixture.
- Grease an 11"x7" baking dish and line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Press rice krispie mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Let set up for at least an hour before cutting into squares.