Luckily, Fiancé loves this pasta too, so much so that we’ve had it twice since I first made it because it was his turn to pick dinner. The feta is what really makes this pasta. I usually like to add spinach to the sauce, but that was a no go for him. Try it yourself and just sneak it in there for picky eaters- they probably won’t notice if you don’t say anything!Print
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 cup spinach (optional)
- 9 oz fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade (for serving)
- Add beef, sausage, onions, and garlic to a large stockpot over medium heat and brown the meat.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian herbs, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and fresh basil to the sauce. Let simmer for at least 15 minutes, up to an hour. The longer, the better! If you’re using spinach, add for the last ten minutes of cooking to soften and wilt.
- Cook the fusilli according to package directions for al dente pasta.
- Top cooked pasta with meaty sauce, feta, and fresh basil for serving.