This grilled summer salad dinner has all your favorite produce with a bright, buttery dressing and is delicious served next to grilled chicken or steak!
IT’S SUMMA TIME! In case you hadn’t heard.
And here in Portland, it’s already been a scorcher. This week alone we’ve had 3 days above 90, and we’re not exactly a city known for its heat.
The consequence of this high heat? I avoid turning on my oven at all costs. Our grill is doing overtime. Yes, we do have A/C, but it’s a tiny window unit that lives in our bedroom because we are those people that can’t sleep unless we’re downright cold. I know there are more of you out there.
This recipe came to be because I had corn on the cob, sugar snap peas from the farmers market, and a red bell pepper that all needed to be used THIS VERY DAY, but that seemed like a lot of disjointed veggies. Not to mention a bunch of fingerling potatoes thrown into the mix, but that’s another story.
In order to rectify the disjointedness, I literally joined them to create this delicious, warm, summery salad that I’m craving all over again while describing it to you.
This recipe is as easy as it gets: grill corn, grill sugar snap peas, grill pepper, toss with “dressing” made of butter, garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice. When Husband asked me what he was in for (note: partners of food bloggers have to ask this frequently), I said, “Think scampi but veggies instead of shrimp.” After actually eating it, I stand by this description.Print
- 2 ears of corn
- Roughly 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
- Remove the husks and threads from the corn and rinse. Without drying, wrap each ear of corn in foil.
- In a grill basket, toss sugar snap peas and red bell pepper strips with olive oil and kosher salt.
- Reduce grill heat to medium. Place corn cobs in the center of the grill. Grill for 7 minutes.
- Add grill basket to the grill. Flip corn. Grill veggies and corn for an additional 7 minutes, tossing veggies once.
- While the veggies are grilling, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add garlic and cook until garlic is just starting to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Once veggies are done, carefully remove foil from corn. Let cool for 3-5 minutes. Using a knife, slice kernels off the cob.
- Add veggies and corn kernels to a salad bowl. Pour over the butter lemon mixture and toss to coat. Serve warm.
This summer salad dinner would go great with a bit of protein added in. My Grilled Lemon Chicken perhaps? Or if you’re in the mood for seafood my Sous Vide Cilantro Shrimp pairs really well with this salad!