As you’re reading this, I’m likely sleeping in my childhood bedroom at my parents’ house attempting to recover from 36 hours of planes and airports. That is cruel and unusual. If anyone ever complains to me about the length of their flight I will need to try very hard to not roll my eyes.
More breakfast recipes because breakfast is the greatest meal of the day! And because I find myself eating breakfast type foods beyond what most people would consider to be “breakfast time” and I like some variation in my diet.
I really like oatmeal. Like a lot. I like plain ol’ cinnamon sugar oatmeal. I love strawberry cheesecake oatmeal. I like cooking down some apples to have in my oatmeal. And this chocolate peanut butter oatmeal has taken my heart.
The best thing about this breakfast is that it feels like you’re eating an incredibly decadent dessert, but it’s just wholesome oatmeal. Just one heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder and a spoonful of peanut butter to make your dreams come true. I like to sweeten mine with brown sugar, but you could absolutely go the honey route. Throw a banana in for good measure and because chocolate + peanut butter + bananas are a dream team. OH, and you get coffee + chocolate. If you’re a coffee drinker, that is. Which I’m sure you are.
Oh, and another good thing (just in case I really need to talk you into making this) is that it’s incredibly easy to make and takes less than ten minutes. Even I can pull that off.Print
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 cup oats (not instant)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk (optional)
- 1 banana, sliced (optional)
- In a medium sized stockpot, bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and stir in the cocoa powder and salt. Add the oats and stir to combine.
- Let cook, stirring frequently, for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Stir in peanut butter, brown sugar, and milk if desired. Top with sliced banana.