As I mentioned in my last post, I’m currently embarking on a culinary journey that excludes dairy (no!), grain (it can’t be!), sugar (blasphemy!), and … alcohol (several expletives!). That’s right, I have not had a beer in 21 days. Not that I’m counting or anything.
It’s actually been a truly wonderful experience. I’m learning more and more about what my body likes and I’m trying brand new foods, flavors, and ways of cooking. I’ve found that I’m much more sensitive to even subtle flavors, and I feel great. If you’re curious, here’s more info about what I’m doing.
Now onto the recipe! I have a huge soft spot for mashed potatoes- they’ve been perhaps the hardest thing to resist for me. So I made this purée with the hopes it would help curb that craving, and it totally did! It was savory, flavorful, and the texture was perfect. I hope you like it as much as I did!
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1/2 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1–2 carrots (depending on how sweet you want it), peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Additional butter or ghee for serving
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter or ghee over medium high heat. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring the broth to a boil and reduce heat to medium low to simmer. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until veggies are soft. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend veggies and broth until all is combined and pureed. If you don’t have an immersion blender, pour cooked ingredients into a blender in batches until all is pureed.
- Serve hot with a little more butter or ghee on top. Enjoy!