Sooooo, this became a thing: Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Waffles. Oh yeah, and there’s a blue cheese sauce on top.
This is another DIY version (although painfully easy) of an IRL Dinner Husband and I have sometimes. I call them “disco fries” and they consist of Alexia Sweet Potato fries, shredded chicken tossed in buffalo sauce, and this very same blue cheese sauce. Easy, kinda healthy, and amaaaaaaze. Straight. Amaze.
And then this idea for Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Waffles occurred to me the other day. So it had to happen.
These “waffles” are made from shredded sweet potatoes, seasoning, and an egg. Das all folks. Then spread into a waffle iron and cooked until crispy.
Top with shredded chicken tossed in your favorite buffalo sauce (we’re Frank’s original fans around hurr), blue cheese sauce, and call it a delicious day.
Hot tip: this is a GREAT way to use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Or honestly, whatever leftover meat you have in your fridge. These sweet potato waffles are delicious with anything on top.
Doing a paleo diet, Whole30, or something like that? Ditch the sauce and you’re good.
The amazing part? This is truly excellent calorie bang for your buck, and super filling.
Try it. Love it. Tell me about it and make my day ?
Looking to try some other savory waffles? I gotchu. Try my Cornmeal Waffles with Pork Verde or my Maple Brined Fried Chicken with Cornbread Waffles. A little less healthy, yes, but plenty tasty.
Get the Recipe:
Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Waffles
- 3 medium-sized white sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot, or your favorite buffalo sauce
Blue Cheese Sauce:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a small cookie sheet.
- Season chicken breasts with Italian seasoning and kosher salt. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- While the chicken is cooking, grate the sweet potatoes. If you have a mechanical grater, this is the time to use it! Add the grated sweet potatoes to a cheese cloth bag or a colander and press as much liquid out as possible.
- Add the grated sweet potatoes to a bowl. Add the melted butter, Italian seasoning, salt, and egg. Stir until completely combined.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
- This mixture will make four waffles. Spoon a quarter of mixture onto hot iron. Cook until golden brown and repeat.
- When chicken is done cooling, chop into small pieces. Add to bowl. Add buffalo sauce and toss to coat.
- To make the blue cheese sauce, combine all ingredients.
- Top sweet potato "waffles" with chicken, then sweet potato sauce. Garnish with parsley if desired.