These sloppy joe sweet potato toasts are a healthy spin on the cafeteria classic. Slices of sweet potato are topped with ground turkey, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, and finally, pickles for an easy and delicious weeknight meal. Even better, this recipe is totally paleo and Whole30 friendly.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
My new go-to weeknight dinner: sloppy joe sweet potato toasts!
Tasty? Check. Done in 30 minutes or less? Check. Healthy? Check, check, check.
This dish is simple, but full of flavor thanks to chili powder and pickles (trust me!) and filling but full of healthy ingredients like sweet potatoes and ground turkey. Not to mention, it’s a really fun spin on the usual weeknight dinner!
Living the paleo diet life or rocking a Whole30? Don’t worry: this recipe will work for you!
How to Make Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Toasts
Lucky you: this dinner is a breeze to whip up, and you only need a few ingredients!
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Ground turkey
- Jalapeno (optional)
- Bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
You’ll start by scrubbing the sweet potatoes and chopping off the ends, then slicing them into oblong rounds. Then cover them in a little olive oil (an olive oil spray works well here!) and salt them. If you’ve got an air fryer, this is a great reason to use it! Cook them at 390 degrees F for 8 minutes on each side. If not, cook them in your oven at 425 for 10 minutes on each side.
Then brown the turkey, add the onions, jalapeno, and bell pepper and cook until softened, stir in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer until the sweet potatoes are ready to go.
To assemble, top the sweet potato toasts with the ground turkey mixture, then some diced pickles. It sounds weird, but TRUST ME. The pickles add a much needed tang and complement the sweetness of the sweet potatoes so well.
Tips for Making Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Toasts
- If you have an air fryer, it’s perfect for the sweet potato toasts! New to air fryers but want to snag one? This is the air fryer I have and I totally love it!
- The longer you can let the sloppy joe mixture simmer, the better. In fact, you could brown the meat and then throw all the other ingredients into the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
- Be generous with the chili powder: it does more for smokiness than spice, so don’t be afraid!
- If you like things really spicy, I recommend topping with a vinegary hot sauce, like Tabasco.
- A hoppy beer, like a pale ale or IPA, are my drinks of choice for this!
- These Bourbon Moscow Mules from A Nerd Cooks would also be delicious.
- How about an easy dessert to serve after, like Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies or Classic Lemon Bars?
Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Toast Recipe
You can also view this recipe as a step-by-step web story here.
Get the Recipe:
Sloppy Joe Sweet Potato Toasts
- If using an air fryer, preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F. If using an oven, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes (you don't need to peel unless you want to). Chop off the ends. Slice long ways into 1/4 inch "toasts". Coat both sides of sweet potato "toasts" with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Cook for 8 minutes for air fryer or 10 minutes for oven, flip, and cook for another 8 minutes for air fryer or 10 minutes for oven. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, brown the turkey in a skillet over medium heat. Season with a teaspoon of kosher salt. Add the onion, jalapeno, and bell pepper and cook over medium low heat until veggies are soft. Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stir, and cook over low heat for at least 20 minutes.
- To assemble, top the sweet potato "toasts" with the sloppy joe mixture, then garnish with diced pickles and hot sauce, if desired.