Easy turkey and lentil soup that can be cooked on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot or crockpot. A great way to use leftover turkey or chicken!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup red split lentils
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey pieces
- Grated parmesan
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the celery, onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the turkey to the stockpot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are cooked and carrots and potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the turkey and cook for another five minutes to heat through.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle parmesan on top to serve.
The turkey in this recipe can be replaced with cooked chicken.
If you’d prefer to cook this in the crockpot, just add all ingredients except the turkey and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add the turkey about 30 minutes before serving to heat.