This sous vide leg of lamb recipe is perfect when you find yourself with a boneless leg of lamb. It’s a wonderful main dish to serve at holidays, but simple enough, with the help of sous vide, to have as a fancy weekend dinner. Serve with a lemony salsa verde and mashed potatoes for an incredible meal!
For the lamb:
- 3–5 pound boneless leg of lamb
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- Leaves of 1 rosemary sprig
- Leaves of 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Ghee or butter for searing
For the salsa verde (optional):
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp flaked sea salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Using your immersion circulator, preheat water bath to 130 degrees F.
- Add all the ingredients except the lamb, ghee, and salsa verde ingredients to a food processor or use a mortar and pestle to grind them into a paste.
- Season the leg of lamb liberally on both sides with additional kosher salt. Lay with the fat cap side down (you can trim this if you want) and score the top with a sharp pairing knife (this means dragging the knife across in diagonal lines both ways – watch the how to video to see how it’s done!).
- Rub the herb mixture all over the scored side. Roll it up, and secure in place with butcher’s twine.
- Vacuum seal the rolled leg of lamb or add to a gallon-sized zipper top bag and remove all the air. Add to preheated water bath and cook for 3-5 hours.
- When done, remove from the water bath and bag. Pat leg of lamb as dry as possible with paper towels.
- Get a cast iron skillet searing hot – as hot as possible – and add enough ghee to coat the skillet. Sear the leg of lamb on all sides until golden brown.
- Let the leg of lamb rest for a moment on the cutting board. Prep the salsa verde by mixing together all ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Remove the twine from the leg of lamb and slice into 1/2 inch slices. Top with salsa verde and serve!
Make sure your leg of lamb is boneless and butterflied. Your butcher can do this.
Only slice what you’ll want to eat immediately. For any leftovers, slice super, super thin – as thin as possible! It’s better in sandwiches this way.
Another great condiment: garlicky yogurt sauce. Saute garlic and onions in a little olive oil. Let cool, then mix into greek yogurt with a little salt.
Keywords: sous vide leg of lamb