These sloppy joe sweet potato toasts are a healthy spin on the cafeteria classic. Slices of sweet potato are topped with ground turkey, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, and finally, pickles for an easy and delicious weeknight meal. Even better, this recipe is totally paleo and Whole30 friendly.
4 sweet potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 12.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
Vinegar based hot sauce (optional)
- If using an air fryer, preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F. If using an oven, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes (you don’t need to peel unless you want to). Chop off the ends. Slice long ways into 1/4 inch “toasts”. Coat both sides of sweet potato “toasts” with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Cook for 8 minutes for air fryer or 10 minutes for oven, flip, and cook for another 8 minutes for air fryer or 10 minutes for oven. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, brown the turkey in a skillet over medium heat. Season with a teaspoon of kosher salt. Add the onion, jalapeno, and bell pepper and cook over medium low heat until veggies are soft. Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stir, and cook over low heat for at least 20 minutes.
- To assemble, top the sweet potato “toasts” with the sloppy joe mixture, then garnish with diced pickles and hot sauce, if desired.
If you’d like to cook the sloppy joe mixture in the slow cooker, brown the meat and add onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and browned turkey to the slow cooker. Cook on low for a minimum of 3 hours, up to 6.
Keywords: sloppy joe sweet potato toasts