Pumpkin isn’t just for dessert – here’s a fun way to make it a part of breakfast, too! These pop tarts have a pumpkin cream cheese filling and maple icing with just a sprinkle of sea salt to keep things interesting.
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg
- Trader Joe’s maple butter (or 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp maple syrup, and milk)
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon’s)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whip together the pumpkin and cream cheese until fluffy and light in color. Fold in the maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Flour a work surface and a rolling pin. Roll out the puff pastry sheets until about 16 inches long, then cut each one into 12 squares.
- Place a dollop of the pumpkin cream cheese mixture on 12 of the 24 total squares.
- Fill a small bowl with water. Dip your finger in it and run it along the edges of the filled squares. Place a non-filled square on top of each filled square, then take a small fork, dip it in the water, and crimp the edges closed.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl, then brush it over the top of each pop tart.
- Bake at 425 F for 14-17 minutes, until golden brown.
- If you don’t have maple butter and are making maple icing, whisk together powdered sugar, maple syrup, and add milk 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reach. It should be thin enough to drizzle but not too thin.
- Let pop tarts cool for 10 minutes, then drizzle with the maple butter or icing. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and serve.
Trader Joe’s maple butter makes the perfect icing for this!
You’ll have leftover pumpkin filling. Spread it on waffles, pancakes, or make cinnamon rolls.
Calories are an approximation.
Keywords: pumpkin pop tarts