The flavors of your favorite pasta work so well with buttery mashed potatoes! Serve Cacio e Pepe Mashed Potatoes with any of your favorite dishes. They’re an especially great side dish to steak and other beef dishes thanks to plenty of black pepper.
- 3 pounds yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil.
- Thoroughly salt the water until it tastes salty. Add the cubed potatoes and boil for about 10 minutes, until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly.
- Return stockpot to stove and turn the heat to low. Add the butter.
- Add the warm potatoes back to the stockpot and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in sour cream, an additional tsp of salt, black pepper, and parmesan.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper. You should be able to taste the pepper.
- Make sure your water for boiling is thoroughly salted – taste it! It should taste salty.
- Be generous with the black pepper. The mashed potatoes should almost taste spicy.
- Taste the mashed potatoes as you add ingredients, and keep adding until they’re perfect.
- I recommend using a potato masher for these – this method helps prevent “gluey” and overworked mashed potatoes.
Keywords: cacio e pepe mashed potatoes